Saturday, August 14, 2010

Corn for Everyone!


The Inspiration
Two Thanksgivings ago, we gathered with my family in Humboldt, Iowa to celebrate. Of course, the plethora of delicious spread usually includes about 3 different vegetables, but this year it was even more wonderful. It included the most phenomenal sweet corn my sister got from her in-laws, straight off the farm, frozen and rejuvenated for Thanksgiving dinner.

We experienced the same delightful treat the year after, when Mark's Aunt Christine brought a large quantity (which all went quickly, by the way) to the Johnson Family Thanksgiving.

For some reason, after almost 4 years of marriage, I decided this year that I wanted to try my hand at canning. I believe it all started with following through with our plan to plant a garden this year at Mark's Mom's house. With cucumbers and tomatoes growing like wildfire, these will be my future victims. But unfortunately, we don't think the corn will make it this year. I was bummed, because one of the things I was most excited about was the delectable freezer corn this winter.

Fortunately, the farmers down in Brewster, Minnesota didn't have bad luck, so I found a large bin of the most delicious sweet corn at our local Sunshine Foods grocery store. I picked about 6 ears one day, just to test it out, and it was scrumptious! So last evening, I went back and picked out 12 more ears. I decided that this morning would be THE morning: This morning would be the morning I set the standard for corn at my house.

Step 1: Shucking the Corn
Well, I started shucking the corn (i.e. removing the husks and silk) and got them all ready to go in a large pot of water when Mark, ever so kindly asked if I'd consider making it the way his Grandma Vi used to, which included removing the kernels from the cob. So Mark called up Grandma Vi to get the recipe (which also resulted in the recipe for pickled beets!), and I got to work on it!

Step 2: De-Kerneling
After I had all the husks removed, I cut all the kernels off the cobs and placed 8 cups of kernels in a large stockpot. (Grandma's recipe actually calls for 16 cups, but we didn't have that much, so we halved the recipe.)

Step 3: Making it Irresistable
This is the best part - second only to the part where you eat it! I added 1/2 C sugar, 1 quart water, and 2 tsp salt to the pot, and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.

It's still cooling right now, but once cool, I'll fill some freezer bags with it, getting as much of the air out as I can, and placing it in the freezer for this winter. Well...that is if it makes it to the bags...

No comments:

Post a Comment