Saturday, February 12, 2011

Lemon Chicken Tortellini

I've had this frozen cheese tortellini in my freezer for quite some time. I had been planning to try out this particular tortellini soup. The problem was that I absolutely never had all the ingredients on hand, and I'd always end up forgetting one thing or another when it came time to make it.

I came across this recipe in a magazine a few weeks previously, and when I realized I had all the ingredients on hand, I decided to forego the soup plans and make this delicious Lemon Chicken Tortellini instead!



The recipe makes about 6 servings and takes about 15 minutes to prep and 25 minutes to cook.

Ingredients

* 1 package (19 ounces) frozen cheese tortellini
* 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in. pieces
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1/2 small sweet red pepper, julienned
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
* 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
* 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
* 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions

Cook tortellini according to package directions.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute chicken in butter until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.

In the same pan, cook red pepper until crisp-tender.

Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.


Add 2 cups broth; bring to a boil.

Combine the flour, salt, pepper and remaining broth until smooth; gradually stir into the pan.


Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.



Stir in the chicken, lemon peel and pepper sauce if desired.


Add spinach; cook just until wilted.


Drain pasta; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
Thanks, again, to Curt and Nancy for being my guinea pigs and testing it out! While it wasn't my absolute favorite recipe of all times, it turned out pretty good, and there were no complaints!
Nutrition Facts:
1-1/3 cups equals 358 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 883 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment