Friday, October 22, 2010

Fiesta Bowl

If you haven't noticed lately, I've been cooking a lot. The problem with cooking and baking a lot is that you end up eating too much and feeling kinda crummy afterward.

I've decided to join some friends in a 10 Day Cleanse, where I'm only allowed to eat foods that don't have junk in them. (i.e. cook with lean meats and lots of veggies, and stop eating so much of it!)

This, of course, poses a problem for me, when 80% of my recipes are probably not so healthy. Of course, there are some great options that ARE healthy (i.e. This Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe), but I always struggle to find the time and willpower to spend that much time in the kitchen when I'm already hungry!

Suddenly, it came to me - a friend of mine emailed me a recipe a while back that sounded like some sort of Mexican dish with black beans (score!) and shredded chicken. I looked it up, and here's what I had to go on:

"Saute peppers (red, orange, green) and onions in pam olive oil flavor. Add black beans and corn. Throw them in between two whole wheat tortillas with low fat cheese and non fat sour cream. Yum."

So, while I modified it a little bit, here's what I ended up with.

The Recipe

1 large chicken breast, poached and shredded
1 large yellow pepper, diced
1 medium white onion, diced
3 large mushrooms, diced
1 can black beans
1/2 pkg frozen corn
Salt, pepper, chili powder, red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper to taste while sauteeing

Putting it All Together

You start by poaching a chicken breast like so:



While you're waiting, you then dice up all your goods - pepper, onion and mushrooms, and saute it in olive oil spray like so:



And then, the dreaded shredding of the chicken:



Once the goods are good and cooked, you add in the black beans and corn, let it blend in for a minute or two, then add that shredded chicken and the seasonings, to taste.



Once it was heated through, I threw it over a bed of tortilla chips...



...then tossed on a little cheese and a bit of salsa. Delicious!!



I added a little chicken broth to keep the leftovers moist and let it simmer a little longer, since the leftovers will be killer! My plan for tomorrow is to throw a little of this between two tortilla shells with a little cheese to make a little quesadilla - and I can't wait!

I have no idea what the name of this recipe is, so I'm making it up lol

No comments:

Post a Comment