Thursday, September 25, 2014

White Chicken Chili


We tried a new thing last year at our big annual Ropte Family GTG: A chili cookoff!

You guys - it was a blast! While some of the guys kinda pawned off the chili making onto their wives ::ahem, Mark and Dan:: the other guys got really into it, even naming their chili. All the names were pretty much inside family jokes, so that was kinda fun too lol

All the chili was pretty tasty, but this one stole my vote. And really, who would have guessed it: My baby brother (a bachelor who has just recently decided to start cooking instead of eating out, living in an apartment in Des Moines) was the chef who introduced me to it! The name of his chili "Mars Garlic Attack" was actually on account of him slightly mis-reading the recipe, and instead of 1 1/2 TSP of garlic powder, he added 1 1/2 TBSP. He was worried that it was ruined, but it was AWESOME!

I had heard about White Chicken Chili for years, but it never really sounded that good. I've changed my mind: It's DELICIOUS! I know he said he found it on my sister's Pinterest, but I searched and searched to no avail to find it. If you know whose recipe it is, please let me know so I can add a reference!
White Chicken Chili
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb chicken breast cut into ½ in cubes
  • 1 med onion chopped
  • 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp veg oil
  • 2 cans white beans drained
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
  • 2 cans (4 oz) chopped green chilies
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • ½ tsp pepper
  • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 C sour cream
  • ½ C heavy whipping cream ( I sometimes use whole milk)

Directions:
Salute chicken, onion, and garlic powder in oil. Add beans, broth, chilies, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes. Remove from heat
stir in Sour Cream and Whipping Cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment