Saturday, August 20, 2016

Banana Coconut Mini Chip Muffins

Oh.My.Word. These are my absolute favorite muffins right now, and they are SO GOOD!

Our second born, Kendrick, has a nut allergy, so I went through a couple years now where I just didn't like making banana bread or muffins because, well, I LOVE walnuts in my muffins. And when you're a Mama of a kid with a nut allergy who has had two accidental exposures, you pretty much don't keep nuts in your house anymore. We got really into making Banana pancakes last winter. Mark slipped into a banana bread depression (just kidding lol But he LOVES banana bread.)

Enter coconut.

I happened to see it as a suggestion at the bottom of a recipe Mark's Grandma wrote out in the recipe book she gave us for my bridal shower 10 years ago. I usually make my Mom's recipe, but was out of shortening, so I was on the hunt for a recipe I could make without going to the store. I honestly don't think I will EVER make banana bread the normal way ever, ever again.

These are good any way, but I always throw in about 1/4C of chia seed and 1/4C of flax seed simply to add a slight nutritional benefit, and aside from eating the batter, you wouldn't even hardly notice the difference - especially when you add in the crispy coconut and mini chocolate chips.

Banana Coconut Mini Chip Muffins
Makes 12 large muffins plus two mini loaves
Ingredients:
  • 1 bag mini chocolate chips
  • 1 bag coconut
  • 6 very ripe bananas
  • 4 C flour
  • 4 tsp baking soda
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 C sugar
  • 1 stick (1/2 C) shortening

No comments:

Post a Comment