Thursday, August 18, 2011

Creamy Mushroom Soup

Two Thanksgivings ago, my sister and I sat down to talk about what to do for meal ideas for Christmas, considering we would be feeding a small army for multiple days for Christmas. We decided for one of the meals that doing crockpot soups and beer bread would be the easiest, least-hassle way to feed a small army, so we asked everyone to bring their favorite crockpot soup to share.

Of course, others chose the easy routes - chili and cheesy broccoli - early on, so I wanted to try something a little more out there, but something I knew would be appreciated.

While I was pondering what to make, I happened to open my fridge and found some on-the-verge-of-going-bad mushrooms. I knew I'd have to make something soon, so I decided to scour the interwebz to find a great recipe to use them up that didn't require too much work.

Enter google: "recipes with mushrooms"

Up popped this incredible masterpiece from AllRecipes: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/creamy-mushroom-soup/detail.aspx

Since it was winter, afterall, I decided to make it, and certainly had in the back of my mind that it could, perhaps, be a winner for my unique Christmas soup idea.

It requires the following pans:



And the following ingredients:



You start by melting butter

Then cleaning the mushrooms and slicing them up



And then sauteeing them up with onions in the butter,

after which, you throw them in a saucepan and add a Tbsp of flour to thicken it up.



Then you add the chicken broth

and the half and half

And after simmering about 10 minutes, you end up with this:


The recipe calls for a little cinnamon, but Mark wasn't such a fan, so you can do it with or without: I like it with, he likes it without.


It was a HUGE hit at Christmas - there wasn't a drop left!

No comments:

Post a Comment